Late in 1889 a very determined and confident young man opened an architectural office on his own... and began to change the face of Pittsburgh and the role we, as architects, play in designing the world around you.
Edward Stotz (who once shook hands with Geronimo) was just 21 years old and had never been to college - nor had most American architects. He wrote his specifications in longhand by gaslight, traveled to work by horse-drawn streetcar, and lived in a city without a single steel framed building. Skyscrapers, elevators, and blueprints were all in their infancy.
While Edward Stotz and his colleagues changed the way buildings look and feel, they also created standards for the practice of architecture. They built up the American Institute of Architects and developed codes to make buildings safer. They made architecture a respected profession, and they made buildings we call landmarks today.
Edward Stotz's sons, Charles Morse Stotz and Edward Stotz, Jr., carried on their father's commitment to people oriented architecture of substance and pleasing detail. Similar-minded architects joined them, building to last in a world of change and flux.
MacLachlan, Cornelius & Filoni is the architectural firm founded on the Stotzs' integrity, tradition, and passion for building well. We are architects who for over 125 years have designed hospitals, theaters, schools and colleges, laboratories, offices, and residences. We have rejuvenated historic buildings and designed new structures, always keeping the scale of ther person in mind. In our fountain at Point State Park we have given Pittsburgh a symbol of grandeur and beauty.
We are the descendants of Edward Stotz, whose architectural philosophy was simply expressed: